Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Cuba1: If only my eyes were a camera

Hola!

So we got to Cuba really well, even though it was a really long trip and when we got to Costa Rica there had just been an earthquacke so everything was closed - murp!
No, but we got to Ignacios house at midnight and went to bed.
The next morning we woke up kind of early and went for a walk in the city, just to like, get to know the places, the people, the culture.
And OMG! Even though people have tried to prepare us for the cuban people and especially men, it was nothing like we had ever imagined. You can't walk for 5 seconds without someone whisteling at you, talking to you, contacting you in any way. It is "beautiful" "linda" "guapa" "be my wife" from every street corner and it can really really be too much sometimes.

But well, we got caught and met two boys in the street: Frankly and Erick, two really nice cuban guys, who we have been hanging out with a lot these past days. They have been showing us around, taking us to turist places and really local places and it has been great. They have also given us a goood introduction to havana club rum which we enjoy alot! (:

Mostly we have just been around the city and getting to know everything. Seen where the cannons shoot everyday at 21.00, churches, capitulo, the old obispo street and ofcourse the malecon - the long coastline where everybody hangs out. So so so nice! We have also been to the beach Santa Maria de la mar and what an experience.. I have never seen more clear blue water, whiter sand and palm trees, it was so unbelieveable!

Well, Cuba itself really is unbelieveable and for ever good thing it has it's bad things as well. We have been talking alot to Frankly and Erick about it, about the change and NO-change since the revolution and how they are really stuck here in Cuba and so want to have the same possiblities as us, it really makes me feel like the luckiest person in the world - that I worked and that I am now travelling for real, so so so lucky!
And it is so funny, or crazy, or something, because when Amalie and I are going crazy about all the old cool american cars - Frankly and Erick really don't care, they are going crazy everytime they see a brand new shining car in the street.
What a strange life!

And when I said that there was a smell of revolution in Argentina, I can tell you that it is nothing like here. And Fidel Castro and Che are like icons and there is really like propaganda commercials everywhere all the time.

Everything is SO different, and I wish I could explain better. Even pictures in this case doesn't say enough. But I can just say that besides the men sometimes, I really really LOVE Cuba. And Ignacio is really the best person in the world!

Now we got to Trinidad, in a bus six hours through beautiful landscape and small towns. Trinidad is just as amazing and so different from Habana, here it's quiet - you can ALMOST walk in peace on the streets, they are not so many cars and we might be the luckiest people in the world. We are staying in a woman called Mercedes house and she is the nicest person in the world and already told us that she will be our mom the time we stay here. And even better = we got here just for a culture week with music all day every day all week and party in the streets and markets and it couldn't be better.
So now we can't wait for the beach also, so we can get some tan and look more cuban (as if!)

So, this was it for now I think, I'll try to write soon again, but internet is really not common here - MURP!

I really miss you all and I wish I could share this experience with everybody.
Love,
Tess

1 comment:

Florus said...

Hey Tess,

Everybody knows his own world, his own way of live and it is really difficult to imagine what is it in other countries.
Therefore, I think, a trip as you are doing is one of the main cause of open-minded and it s sure, it will be with you for the rest of your life.

I would like discover the world like you, but I have chose another way...

Lovely
Florian

PS: If you need, something or if something will be wrong, I am here!!!